After watching the 2018 ESPY Awards where Shaun White won his 11th and 12th ESPY awards, I was reminded of an interview I had watched on "Undeniable with Joe Buck" back in May.
Not admiring Shaun after this interview seems impossible to me and admittedly, I'm surprised I have not appreciated him much sooner.
During this interview it was apparent what an open, vulnerable, and genuine person he is.
I was reminded of a few valuable life lessons, and after watching it, a fire was lit on the inside of me. The kind of fire that makes you feel like you can conquer the world.
Below are some interview ah-ha moments I feel get deeply buried when our worlds get overwhelming:
- Point your focus always towards the next goal.
- Listen to your own thoughts. Others will have expectations set for you and the route you should take to be successful. Their thoughts are not in charge of your destiny. You are, and your roadmap is designed by you.
- Surround yourself with a strong network of people who love you and believe in you.
- There may be sacrifices you and your family need to make in order to achieve your goals, but during those sacrifices an unbreakable bond will be formed.
- Envision the future you want and believe in yourself to get there.
- Be a goal setter. Have high standards for yourself. Putting your aspirations in a very clear picture makes it so much easier to obtain them.
- There will be tension along the way.
- Let the difficulties be a motivator for you.
- Get tired of 2nd place. "It's not enough to be the best; you have to blatantly be the best."
- Stand by what you believe in, no matter how others paint you out to be. Stick to who you are. Don't be swayed by others.
- Have fun while on the path to achieving your goals.
- When you win at conquering those goals, remember it's not only you who has won but everyone who has supported you along the way.
- When you have reached your goals, there may be changes in your life that others are not ready for.
- Don't let fear consume you and cause you to detour from the task at hand. Any seeds of doubt will not benefit you.
- If you fall, get back up! Don't be intimidated by falling down.
- Don't let the pressure get to you. Believe in yourself.
- Feeling fulfilled when no one is watching will unveil your true passions and push you even further.
- Know yourself well enough to know when to say no.
- Nothing motivates quite like a loss. Use a loss as a powerful tool.
"Many people attach snowboards to their feet; very few attach them to their souls."